Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Our Love Story ~ Part 1

    Ya know how sometimes you just have this feeling that you shouldn't do something but yet you really want to?  While, that's how it started for me. I was teaching school in Goshen, Indiana and they had asked me to return as a teacher the following year.  I loved teaching there and I so bad wanted to teach another year and as bad as I wanted to I still couldn't find a peace about doing what I wanted to do but neither could I figure out why I shouldn't either. I finally said, "No, but if they couldn't find a teacher 2 weeks before school starting Id reconsider."
     That summer (June 5th~2004) I moved out to Bemidgi, Minnesota for the summer (this was my second summer there) to help cook at a boys camp. I decided that i was going to go out just a bit earlier so i could spend time with the many friends that I made at the church we attended on Sundays (Kitchi Pines) so I happened to be there for the Sunday that they had their church camp-out (June 6th). While there was this couple there sitting with Bob & Doris (a couple from the Kitchi Church) well I had Bob's grandaughter and had just taken her back to her mom and I then headed through the potluck line. While this couple followed me. They said, they heard that I was from Indiana and that they use to live there. So we talked briefly and when they heard that my dad use to milk cows before he had a stroke we figured out that this man was a salesman and briefly knew my dad. Their youngest daughter was along and her and Judi were sitting under a tree talking and it wasnt long until a bunch of us girls joined the circle.That afternoon I had to move on over to the Cabin where we stayed while cooking at the camp.
      July 30th this couple (Mike & Evelyn Martin) came back to visit and it just so happened that they knew the head cook at the boys camp where I was helping to cook at.  While, I was kind of known as the cake decorator. If one of the boys had a birthday id make a cake and decorate it. Mary Kiley (the head cook) had asked me to make sure some other things got started for supper that night well she ran to her sisters place or maybe it was to town. I'm busy working on this cake and all of a sudden this couple steps into the kitchen. They had come back to visit. They knew the head cook and wanted to stop in to see her (or thats what they said!)  I told them she would be back but it would be a bit and they were welcome to wait or come back.  Well they kept talking to me and asking me many questions. I was starting to feel really uneasy.
They wondered if I was dating? I said, "Nope!" They asked me if I'd stop in at their place in Hayward, WI on my way home. I dont remember what I said but I do remember thinking, "Are they crazy their is no way I'm stopping there!"  They told me that they have a son that's my age and they'd like for us to meet. And they gave me his number and their 1~800 number.  I tried to be polite but um I was a wreak in my head. Honestly I don't remember what I said. I'm not sure I want to know (lol.)
      A dear friend (and co-worker) Becky walked in near the end of the conversation. She is also from Indiana but from the Goshen area. I was so glad to see her!! I was also glad that they started talking to her and gave me a few minutes to quickly cry out to God. Becky could tell by my face that I was flustered and distraught. We had youth that night but we did some quick clean up and I called my mom. I was a mess. I talked with Becky for a long time that night. Till I went to bed I hid the card that they had given me with the phone numbers and decided Id get rid of it and just forget this ever happened. Although I talked with a few of my close friends and tried to find out as much info on this couple and their son that they told me about just in case something more would happen.
      While on July 31st It was my last day at Camp Chippewa working in the kitchen.  I wanted to spend a couple days with a good friend (Bess) before heading home for a wedding so this was the day I moved over to her place.
       August 4th, 2004 I headed home to Kokomo, Indiana and made NO stops in Hayward!  I was going HOME!!! I still had that card so I could show my parents but I wasn't going to make NO PHONE CALLS!!      I'll add here When you think you know whats best while leave it to God...He will show you WHAT IS BEST even if you don't think so!!!            Stay tuned for part 2 of our love story....  






.

1 comment:

  1. What, you cannot stop there lol. Now I wanna know the rest...

    ReplyDelete